Tuesday, October 17, 2006

weaving wrapup thoughts

it is a frame. the weaving is incidental - a stylistic choice. it is a frame.

I think this may be due to me feeling like I had to "try out" lots of ideas, techniques, when perhaps i would have been better off getting the perameters that i wanted to explore right and then going off and doing it, rather than trying to do 'one a day', which necessarrily negated the ability to record the frame over time (post construction) - so the central concept of the work slipped away, and instead I am left with two weaving animations, rather than framing animations.

the animations i have done this month feel texturally stimulating but conceptually weak. That said, I learnt a great deal.

I am not sure i would do a view like the state library roof one again, just due to the lack of movement over time... the people on the balconies were good, and the sun moved, but the lack of green and of anything responding to wind etc made it feel a bit static. that said, had I taken images every 30 minutes for the next 24 hours, that might have been different. but i didnt think to do that, and plus i was so buggered and also cold by the time i had finished tthe actural construction phase (and its animation) that i had no wish to hang around any longer than i had to (note there was also no thermos on this weaving... big factor to have no tea).

It does seem to me that very important to all works involving static timelapse (ie where nothing is manipulated in between frames) will be (duh) to get a timelapse system for the camer setup. and also be in the sort of environment (ie remote or secure in some sense) where I can leave the camera for short periods. and also an enduring power supply.

The second weaving, on the fence at the farm, was very lovely and grassy and all but really was a bit of a tangent of concept.

The third not-quite weaving, the Mt Fraser site, would have been perhaps the closest to the idea i was getting at. Looking at the site photos I now wish I'd just done it, but its highly likely the result would not have been any closer to the concept than the other two. oh well.

No comments: